Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
FuelPHP is it ready for real world applications?
  • So as the title says, it is ready? What is everyones opinions on using FuelPHP in real world web apps? I have a site I need to build a custom CMS/Member Systems and FuelPHP offers a lot of features that will ultimately be ideal! But the Beta tag... is that a issue? Also if it is ready for real world applications does anyone have any guides on how to integrate it using Git so I can easily upgrade the core when new versions are available... I've never used Git to manage just folders, I believe its called Submodules? but never done it before.
  • 1.0 has been final for months and gotten a bugfix release 1.0.1, little beta-tagged about that. Having said that: 1.1 is probably more stable, even though some of the new code is being tested in the current RC release most of it has been used for months already. If you start an app now, use 1.1 - one warning: the Orm has a bug in the RC release that is very annoying, it's fixed in the repo though and will be in the soon to be released RC2.
  • You asked the right time: Dan Horrigan has made a video on how-to set up your fuel application repository just last week-end! You can find it here: http://blip.tv/fuelphp/creating-a-fuelphp-application-repository-5688973
  • @Jelmer I think when it comes to ORM I won't use it as I don't know have the performance would handle it when the site gets more features added. @Julian Cheers for the video thats brilliant!
  • @jelmer is the bug you speak of to do with the pluralization? if not which bug?
  • In RC1 to-many relations only return 1 object, no matter how many were fetched - a bugfix gone wrong just before the RC release.
  • How fast is ORM in fuel? Does it make a massive difference?
  • In my experience, FuelPHP's ORM is one of the fastest around. It runs circles around my ORM for CI, Jelmer did an outstanding job here. You have to realize that every added layer of abstraction adds some processing, so an ORM is never as fast as writing your own queries using the DB library, which in turn is not going to be as fast as coding native PHP calls. If you're in a situation where every CPU cycle counts, you develop for free, and can't afford decent hosting, then maybe an ORM is not for you. If your development time is payed, then the time (and thus money) saved in developing and maintaining an application when using an ORM easily outweights the potential extra kost of a more powerful server.
  • In all fairness: the Query Builder in Fuel is a lot faster than CI's QB - which is responsible for an important part of the speed. Here's how I approach using an ORM: In the admin area
    Use it as much as you like, won't get any massive loads and is thus perfectly fine. On the frontend
    Here I use 2 approaches:
    - For static data that can be cached (example: site pages) I use caching: it's loaded with the Orm from the DB, processed and cached and that's what is loaded. The ORM nor the DB are necessary after the first load.
    - For non-static data: I use a more "simple" model next to the Orm model, like the Model_Crud that's in v1.1 to fetch on the frontend. All queries are optimized and return as little as possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion