Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Specify format of HMVC response
  • I'm attempting to use an HMVC request within an API controller. Is there a way to specify the output format of the HMVC request? Right now, if the API call sends the header "application/xml", the HMVC response comes in XML. If the API call sends the header "application/json", the HMVC response comes in JSON.

I've tried to add the following to the before() method of my base API controller:

if (\Request::is_hmvc())
    {
       $this->response->format = 'application/json';
    }

However, I still get XML results from the HMVC request if the accept header is set to "application/xml."
  • This is not an HMVC request (which is internal, from one controller to a second), but a REST API request.

It is by design that it returns whatever is requested. We feel that it should not be the service, but the client who should specify in which format it wants the response. It is the most flexible solution, and very simple to implement.

You code doesn't work, because it's not an HMVC call, therefore is_hmvc() returns false.

Check out http://fuelphp.com/dev-docs/general/controllers/rest.html#/formats if you want to know how response formats for REST work, how the format to use is determined, and what you can configure to tune that.

But as said, we suggest to go for best practice, and have your rest call specify the format. Setting the correct header, or adding ".json" to the request URI is a very simple operation.
  • I apologize, I worded my question poorly. I have an API and I am attempting to use an HMVC request from within an API call. To be specific:

POST /api/v1/tickets/create

invokes a controller which does a bunch of stuff, including calling a protected method _resolve_location():

protected function _resolve_location()
    {
       // my first HMVC request!
       $response = \Request::forge('api/v1/locations/find')
           ->set_method('GET')
           ->execute();

return $response;
        }

In my base API controller, I have verified that the \Request::is_hmvc() returns true by running a simple var_dump('here');exit; from within the if () structure.

I have also var_dumped the result of the HMVC request, and the first few lines look like this:

object(Fuel\Core\Request)[34]
      public 'response' => 
        object(Fuel\Core\Response)[70]
          public 'status' => int 200
          public 'headers' => 
            array (size=1)
              'Content-Type' => string 'application/xml' (length=15)
          public 'body' => string '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <xml><found><id>12</id><address>9419 N Meridian St</address><city>Indianapolis</city><state>IN</state><zip>46260</zip><lat>39.9253370</lat><lng>-86.1563990</lng><created_at>1366758185</created_at><updated_at>1366758185</updated_at></found></xml>
    ' (length=285)
          public 'format' => string 'application/json' (length=16)
      public 'uri' => ...etc...

Notice that the "headers => Content-type" and "format" do not match, and the "body" is in XML.
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    Ah, ok. That's indeed more detailed.

As it's an HMVC call, there is no HTTP header which can be used to determine the return format. As you can see in the docs, if all the other options are not configured, it will eventually hit the default, which is 'xml'.

This can be fixed simply by calling

$response = \Request::forge('api/v1/locations/find.json');

But perhaps it's not smart to use this for internal calls. If this is an API call that is only called internally, I would not use Controller_Rest, but a standard controller, which has less overhead. If it also has to be available publicly, I would check if it's an HMVC call in the method, and if so, return a Reponse object containing an array, and not go trough the entire REST encoding stuff (and then on the calling side converting the json back to an array).
  • Ahhh...I see. The locations/find API call is indeed a public API method. I'm attempting to use the HMVC request in respect of the DRY principal. I tried to use the .json URL, but I got a 405 bad request. I see what you're saying about checking for HMVC within the API method. Rather than encoding/decoding I can just send the raw data. Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion