Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Returning a response in a REST Controller before() method

• In my before() methods I have several checks to make sure the user has access to that function. Can be looking for a group, a user status (disabled) or permissions etc.

But the only way I can think as to how to handle the response is to set a flag and check it in the controller's action and then return an error response (403 or similar).

Something like:

public function get_index($show_default=false)
    {

// Make sure the user has the required permissions/access
        $this->has_permission('read');

if ( $this->is_halted() ){
            return $this->make_error_response();
        }

}

I keep repeating those lines at the beginning of EVERY rest controller action.

I was wondering if it was possible to return the response in before() and not continue with the action method.

Thanks,
    Mike

• No, the before() method is a prepping method, it has no option to return anything. Ideally it should not abort as well, although technically you can, either via an exception, or via a redirect.

If you want generic access checks, it's probably best to define a base controller, give that a router() method, use that to check for access. Unlike before(), router() can return a response. If acccess is granted, have the method call the requested method, and return it's response.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion