Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Quick question
  • Hi, I am looking for a framework to build a project with. It is a fairly large project and it will be a while before it is ready for release. I was thinking about using Codeigniter or Kohana. However I found Kohana docs sparse. Also, CI seems to be going through some growing pains in transitioning to PHP5... and it isn't supporting 5.3. Kind of feel it will never be built with the latest version of PHP and that puts me off. I am just browsing really and Fuel looked pretty neat. I was just wondering if someone could recommend this framework to me. My main concern at the moment is that the framework is still very young and I guess there is a risk of it disappearing. Is anyone attempting to build anything substantial with it. Any thoughts on development and the future of the project?
  • From what I have seen in the CI forums where at least 2 of them were they are pretty awesome guys!

Which two are the jerks? :D I use this framework for my freelance and Dan uses this for his day job. WanWizard has converted his CMS to use it and I'm not sure about Jelmer but he is just as committed. It's not going anywhere, and Open-Source projects never really die. Hell, Smarty still exists and that's not been in fashion since 2002.
  • Fuel is still in beta, but it's pretty usable right now. It won't disappear over night and it's slowly but surely getting to a 1.0 release. Kohana has decent docs, it's just that they're not really official (still mostly applies for 3.1). Codeigniter still has great docs, the 2.0 release is nice, it is compatible with php 5.3, it's just that it isn't using any of the new functionality from 5.3. Imho if you have the time and knowledge, Fuel will probably serve you best, and you could contribute back to the community at the same time.
  • I can recommend to use Fuel. I moved from CI 2.0. And for all new projects I use Fuel. Now I'm developing news portal on it;)
  • Mikhail Khasaya wrote on 02/17/11 12:31 pm:
    I can recommend to use Fuel. I moved from CI 2.0. And for all new projects I use Fuel. Now I'm developing news portal on it;)

I'm also thinking of starting a new project on FuelPHP. What do you really like about fuelPHP comparing with CodeIgniter? Thanks.
  • I like:
    1)PHP 5.3.3 support
    2)Namespaces
    3)Static calls
    4)Redis & memcached support
    5)Strong codebase
    6)HMVC out of the box
    7)Built-in Auth/Acl/Groups package which I can easy extend
    8)Template Controller
    9)Fust bug fixing & developing new classes
  • Thanks for the answers guys. I am going to make something with it. Do the authors of the framework get involved in the forum?
  • Jason Stanley wrote on 02/17/11 9:46 pm:
    Thanks for the answers guys. I am going to make something with it. Do the authors of the framework get involved in the forum?

I'm sure they will they are hard at work still developing this amazing framework and do have lives out side of here. But rest a sure they will do what they can when they can. From what I have seen in the CI forums where at least 2 of them were they are pretty awesome guys!
  • Jason Stanley wrote on 02/17/11 9:46 pm:
    Thanks for the answers guys. I am going to make something with it. Do the authors of the framework get involved in the forum?

At least Jelmer here.
  • Mikhail Khasaya wrote on 02/17/11 1:56 pm:
    I like:
    1)PHP 5.3.3 support
    2)Namespaces
    3)Static calls
    4)Redis & memcached support
    5)Strong codebase
    6)HMVC out of the box
    7)Built-in Auth/Acl/Groups package which I can easy extend
    8)Template Controller
    9)Fust bug fixing & developing new classes

ditto

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion