Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Please recommend to me great tutorials to learn PHP OOP, so I can read the core code & understand.
  • things like
    return static::
    etc has me confused i've been reading php docs, but i don't understand.
    also reading some tutorials at devshed, read about singleton & factories, now I want to be able to understand the core code, so I can contribute & help with docs can I ask questions about Fuel's OOP in this forum?
  • Lots is explained on php.net, there's good documentation there for pretty much every part of the language. Having said that you'll probably want to learn a bit about larger concepts:
    - Static classes and late static binding (the latter because of the static:: statements)
    - Model-View-Controller
    - We employ (among others) variations on the Singleton, Multiton and Factory patterns
    - When our classes use drivers, they are mostly using a concept called Composition If you really want to learn more asking questions or just reading code won't be enough. I read "PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice" from Apress last year which I thought was a very good book on OO programming and patterns. It's pretty advanced stuff though.
  • Thanks, I was reading the docs on php.net, but i didn't explicitly say that. I guess I need a bit more of an explanation then php.net is saying, more like php oop for dummies. at least you have named the concepts that I can research more, so thank you. if the apress book was advanced, it sounds like it will be over my head?
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL from Apress is a good read, it includes a very thorough OOP section and covers some advanced OOP features as well. Once you're starting to feel more comfortable with it, you could dive in to Objects, Patterns and Practice as suggested above, which talks about some commonly used programming patterns. After reading this book, you should in fact be able to create your own framework. Tutorials are only good for small intros to these subjects, it really can't beat a good book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion