Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Auth vs Sentry
  • What is the best package of authentication? What I recommend to begin developing an application?

¿Cuál es el mejor paquete de autenticación? ¿Cuál me recomiendan para comenzar a desarrollar un aplicación?
  • Depends on what you're looking for. Basic authentication works fine with the Auth package. And it can be extended with NinjaAuth to provide Oauth based authentication. Sentry does sort of the same, but Social Auth is a paid add-on. I haven't come across a reason for needing Sentry, but ymmv...
  • WanWizard Hello, I'm creating a web application which will have a domain user (LDAP) that will have different roles, but will also be local accounts that will have roles as well. The Auth package will work, just wanted to know whether one is better than another in something specific.

Hola WanWizard, yo estoy creando una aplicación web la cual va a tener usuarios de un dominio (LDAP) que van a tener distintos roles, pero también van a existir cuentas locales que van a tener roles también. El paquete Auth debe funcionar, solo quería saber si uno es mejor que otro en algo especifico.
  • If that means you need to check your LDAP first, and if that fails check for a local account, then you absolutely need Auth, as that supports multiple (and concurrent) authentication backends, and afaik Sentry doesn't.
  • Harro Verton wrote on Saturday 31st of March 2012:
    Depends on what you're looking for. Basic authentication works fine with the Auth package. And it can be extended with NinjaAuth to provide Oauth based authentication. Sentry does sort of the same, but Social Auth is a paid add-on. I haven't co me across a reason for needing Sentry, but ymmv...

Last I heard NinjAuth works with Sentry as well, and if it doesn't it can be easily modified to work with it. SentrySocial operates a bit differently as well. To the question at hand, the reason Sentry was made was because I and others found Fuel's Auth Package difficult to work with and not very complete. This may have changed as I have not followed its development. Sentry tries to stay as easy to use as possible with several additional features. Roles and a password hashing driver are coming in Sentry 2.0 shortly( they are already working ). Ultimately, its your decision. Look at the code and features and decide which is better for your system.
  • Thank you very much for your responses. For now I will use SimpleAuth, but when you leave Sentry (2.0) I will use it to view their news. Sentry is a great alternative, but does not support roles right now.

Muchas gracias por sus respuestas. Por el momento usaré SimpleAuth, pero cuando salga Sentry(2.0) lo usaré para ver sus novedades. Sentry es una gran alternativa, pero no tiene soporte para roles en estos momentos.
  • It is not the intention of the Auth package to provide a full and complete authentication and authorisation system. It is meant to be an extensible framework in which you can plug any functionality you want. The 'simple' drivers that come with the package are meant as an example of how you could design your own system based on your own needs. Having said that, for normal simple applications the 'simple' drivers work well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion