Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
ORM with RESTful API as backend/storage
  • Hello fellow Fuelers,

I'm in search of a package or class that is similar to an ORM but doesn't use any kind of database as storage backend but rather a RESTful API.

Basically the package/class should behave similar to Fuel's ORM such that I can do something like `Model\User::query()->where('username', 'LIKE', 'admin')->get()` and this will trigger a cURL request to the defined API with proper formatted arguments.
    The reason I am looking for this is to be able to write an API which can be used by both my webpage as well as third-party services or e.g., a native mobile app. With the current implementation (maybe just a dead lock in my brain) I cannot do this as my Fuel-app would be using the same models as the API is using which doubles the code to maintain given the API is a different app (separate code-base).

Has anybody ever seen anything like that out in the open? Or do I just go with having the same model code in two places?
  • Yes, but not in the wild.

We use a generic REST API in our application portfolio (which are distributed apps with central management). But I can't give that away I'm afraid.

• That's what I thought, hoped though that pro-devs might know better about what's available in the wild ;)

Just out of curiosity: is your implementation equivalent to fuel's orm package or striped down to the bare necessities?
  • It's pointless and not very efficient to replicate the API.

We implemented a subset mainly for CRUD operations and datatables (paginated lists).

I think the API should stay in control of what the client can see and do, if you expose a complete query API, you open yourself to abuse or worse.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion