Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
New Language Model
  • Hi,

I am working on an ORM Model which will let you to translate other Models.
    Could you tell me your opinion. Maybe it could me merged in ORM.

https://gist.github.com/sagikazarmark/6183169

Please not: it is still under development. It is only the idea.

Other probable solutions:
    Using EAV models (con: more queries)
    Using Lang (con: not sure it suits for dynamic data)

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Gist is updated
  • I'm not in favour of such integration.

We have it split in our applications. We work with standard language files, and all developers create the english versions only. We have a backend admin module that can import these into the database, and automatically mark the delta's to aid the translators. They use the admin interface to make translations, which in turn will generate new lang files for the language they have translated to.

The application is unware, it just loads the lang file, or falls back to english if it doesn't exist.

It's imho a lot more transparent (to both the application and the development teams) then an integration in models.

Also, you have covered the model aspect, but the rest of the applications need translations too (text on views not related to DB fields, menu items, error messages, etc), and your solution doesn't cover that.
  • I understand your concerns, but this is especially for dynamic data, so this applies for something that changes often. For example a multilingual webshop. In that case the translations must be edited quickly.

But I am know thinking about something other than this implementation, because this way the mentioned editing cannot be don easily and the cached data can easily get inconsistent.

Anyway I would like to use the Lang class, but I think in a webshop with 50000 products loading the lang files takes too much memory.

So now I am trying with the EAV implementation.

My basic problem is the amount of data, and the possibility of quick editing. And using either Lang files or cache these problems are not solved.

What is your opinion about this?
  • I know it is not strictly a Fuel-related problem, but I am asking here, because I would like to solve it in a Fuel-related way.
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    In that case it's not a language string, so you shouldn't treat it as such. It's an intergral part of the design, it is application data. In this case a product that has descriptions in multiple languages. If it was only a single description, you would not have considered putting that description in a lang solution for a second.

This should be dealt with in your database design. Create products->has_many->descriptions, and make descriptions with a compound PK which is constructed from the product id and the language code (so product 1 has descriptions 1-EN, 1-FR, 1-DE and so on).

In your relationship definitions, include the selected language code as a condition, which you update at runtime (when you know the users language selection). This will make sure that the ORM will automatically filter on the correct language.
  • Ok, thanks. I will give it a try.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion