Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
FuelPHP1.7.2 zip lacks core directory.
  • Hello, 
    I download the zip of FuelPHP1.7.2.

It seems that the zip file lacks core directory.
    The zip of FuelPHP1.7.1 has core cirectory.
  • Yes, 1.7.1 Zip has all composer components.
    I think it is kind that Zip has all composer components.

• The idea was that you needed to run composer anyway, you think it's better to have a large but complete zip ?
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    We had a chat about this internally, and decided to revert the idea. The zip has been updated to include all dependencies now, running composer is no longer needed after unpacking.
  • Thanks!

• Thanks.
  • If we run `composer update`, error ocurrs.

$ php composer.phar update
    Loading composer repositories with package information
    Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
      - Updating composer/installers dev-master (020fa19 => 41cf781)

[RuntimeException]                                                          
      The .git directory is missing from /home/kenji/tmp/fuelphp-1.7.2/fuel/vendo 
      r/composer/installers, see http://getcomposer.org/commit-deps for more info 
      rmation                                                                     

update [--prefer-source] [--prefer-dist] [--dry-run] [--dev] [--no-dev] [--lock] [--no-plugins] [--no-custom-installers] [--no-scripts] [--no-progress] [--with-dependencies] [-v|vv|vvv|--verbose] [-o|--optimize-autoloader] [packages1] ... [packagesN]

• I think we should avoid using packages installed via git in release version.

• The zip file does not contain the .git repository folder, it never did.

It would make the zip very big, and the assumption has been that if you want repositories, you know how git works. For those people cloning the repo is a lot quicker than fiddling with the zip...
  • You probably know that the error occurs because .git folders are missing in fuel/vendor/...
    When you made zip file, you probably removed them.

I have to say the error is a bug of packaging, because we can't install templates like Twig according to the FuelPHP Documentation. The docs say use `composer`.
    http://fuelphp.com/dev-docs/packages/parser/intro.html#/install

There are two .git folders: for composer/installers and psr/log. And it is because the current Fuel composer.json has `"minimum-stability": "dev"`. Fuel sets minimum stability dev, so the two packages install dev-master and so composer clones their Git repositories.

If we change the minimum stability to stable, composer install their release versions from zip files. So there will be no .git folders and the error will not occur.

In my opinion, in short, why don't you change the minimum stability to stable in master branch?

• Yes, I removed them. On purpose, as I said. That is true for all previous releases too...

Unless you specific --prefer-source, it will use the release zips and not the repo. Minimum stability is not an issue there.

The problem is not in packaging, the problem is that the included composer.json should not contain the fuel repo's, since their source is included in the package. I should have removed the .git folders for monolog and psr/log too.

And that should indeed be corrected, as you should be able to use composer to install addons. I'll see if I can do that later...
  • > Unless you specific --prefer-source, it will use the release zips and not the repo. Minimum stability is not an issue there.

No, you misunderstand Minimum stability.

Normal installation:
    ~~~
    $ git clone git@github.com:fuel/fuel.git
    $ cd fuel
    $ composer install
    $ find fuel/vendor/ -name .git
    fuel/vendor/composer/installers/.git
    fuel/vendor/psr/log/.git

~~~

Changing Minimal stability:
    ~~~
    $ git clone git@github.com:fuel/fuel.git
    $ cd fuel
    $ vi composer.json

--- a/composer.json
    +++ b/composer.json
    @@ -161,5 +161,5 @@
                 "php oil r install"
             ]
         },
    -    "minimum-stability": "dev"
    +    "minimum-stability": "stable"
     }

$ composer install
    $ find fuel/vendor/ -name .git
    $

~~~

• I found permission problem in the Zip file. It is another problem.

See: https://github.com/fuel/core/issues/1755

• If I take a clone of fuel/fuel, and run composer without --prefer-source, it installs 1.7.2 from zip. Hence my remark about the minimum stability.

I'll have a look at that issue later. I didn't even know a zip file stored linux file permissions?
  • If you take a clone of fuel/fuel, and run composer without --prefer-source, it installs master branch of psr/log and composer/installers from git.

So there are:
    fuel/vendor/composer/installers/.git
    fuel/vendor/psr/log/.git

>
    the problem is that the included composer.json should not contain the
    fuel repo's, since their source is included in the package.

Sorry, I can't understand the sentence, what the problem is.

• The current composer.json file in the zip is de develop version, which contains references to the different fuel repo's.

Which means that if you run a composer update, composer is going to complain about a missing .git folder. Solution is not to add the .git folder to the zip, but to remove the composer.json entries for all repo's that are included in the zip.
  • Should be fixed now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion