Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
many-to-many insert
  • sorry to bother again, but whats the proper syntax for inserting in a many-to-many relationship ? List
    --id
    --title
    --content
    List_tags
    --list_id
    --tag_id Tags
    --id
    --type (genre, producer)
    --name (action, WarnerBro)
    $list = new Model_List();
    $list->title = Input::post('title');
    $list->content = Input::post('content');

$list->tags = new Model_Tag();
    $list->tags->type = ?
    $list->tags->name = ?

$list->save();

• $list->tags is an array, you can add new objects to that array.
  • Jelmer Schreuder wrote on Saturday 21st of May 2011:
    $list->tags is an array, you can add new objects to that array.

so it would be like this:
                $list->tags = array(
                    new Model_Tag(array(
                        'type' => 'Genre',
                        'name' => 'Action',
                    )),

new Model_Tag(array(
                        'type' => 'Genre',
                        'name' => 'Adventure',
                    )),
                );

hmm, what about duplicate entries? how would it handle if 'Action' already is there, and it just needs to relate them in the 'list_tags' table ?
    Just try
    Fuel\Core\Database_Exception [ 1062 ]: Duplicate entry 'Action' for key 'name' [ INSERT INTO `tags` (`type`, `name`) VALUES ('Genre', 'Action') ]

Edit: 'name' is set to unique in the database so that there are no duplicates.
  • That really has nothing to do with the Orm, that's because you made the column unique and entered a duplicate.
    That really has nothing to do with the Orm, that's because you made the column unique and entered a duplicate.

Yeah, but say in a situation where 'tags' table the 'name' would need to be unique, as it should be for this type of table structure for tags, would there be a way of only inserting the ids 'list_id' and 'tag_id' in the 'list_tags' table if the 'name' already exists in the 'tags' table ? and if it doesn't it will insert the row ?
  • I can't start programming for you. But if you want to check if there's one or not I'd say basicly something like this:
    $tag = Model_Tag::query()->where('name', $name)->get_one();
    if (empty($tag))
    {
        $tag = new Model_Tag();
        $tag->name = $name;
    }

• The code below works just fine, for new tags it inserts the values to the 'tags' table and the 'list_tags' table. The problem is when a tag already exists, then it won't be able to insert it to the database. Yes I can retrieve the 'tag_id'. But I how would I get and insert the 'list_id' and insert the 'tag_id' I retrieved into the 'list_tags' which is the table through for connecting the lists table to the tags table.
                $_tags  = explode(', ', Input::post('genre'));
                $tags   = array();

foreach($_tags as $tag)
                {
                    $query = Model_Tag::find()->where('name', $tag);
                    if ($query->count() > 0)
                    {
                        $query->get_one(); //if the tag exists I need to access the list_id insert the tag id and list_id to 'list_tags' table
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        $tags[] = new Model_Tag(array(
                            'type'  => 'Genre',
                            'name'  => $tag,
                        ));
                    }
                }
                if ( ! empty($tags))
                {
                    $list->tags = $tags;
                }

Controller : http://scrp.at/5f4a5c56c499188fe160a4d415cb8593fd21057c
  • Dregond Rahl wrote on Sunday 22nd of May 2011:
    The code below works just fine, for new tags it inserts the values to the 'tags' table and the 'list_tags' table. The problem is when a tag already exists, then it won't be able to insert it to the database. Yes I can retrieve the 'tag_id'. But I how would I get and insert the 'list_id' and insert the 'tag_id' I retrieved into the 'list_tags' which is the table through for connecting the lists table to the tags table.
                $_tags  = explode(', ', Input::post('genre'));
                $tags   = array();

foreach($_tags as $tag)
                {
                    $query = Model_Tag::find()->where('name', $tag);
                    if ($query->count() > 0)
                    {
                        $query->get_one(); //if the tag exists I need to access the list_id insert the tag id and list_id to 'list_tags' table
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        $tags[] = new Model_Tag(array(
                            'type'  => 'Genre',
                            'name'  => $tag,
                        ));
                    }
                }
                if ( ! empty($tags))
                {
                    $list->tags = $tags;
                }

Controller : http://scrp.at/5f4a5c56c499188fe160a4d415cb8593fd21057c

When I do many-many insertion. I firstly remove all existed tags, and the 'reinsert' them, or other change, would be to insert non existed, and delete those are no more needed...
  • @Dregond
    Just retrieve the existing Tag model instance like I showed before and add it to the $list->tags array, it'll be automaticly inserted into the table. @Huglester
    Your suggestion isn't actually good practice, though if I remember correctly there was a good reason in your setup.
  • Jelmer Schreuder wrote on Sunday 22nd of May 2011:
    @Dregond
    Just retrieve the existing Tag model instance like I showed before and add it to the $list->tags array, it'll be automaticly inserted into the table. @Huglester
    Your suggestion isn't actually good practice, though if I remember correctly there was a good reason in your setup.

Oh, sorry about that, I forgot it returns a model, Thanks again ! @Huglester: you're method works too, but I think the method mentioned by Jelmer is more fitting for my case, thanks anyways.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion