Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Auth / ORM - Delete Auth_Group and associated permissions
  • Hi,

I'm trying to do the following:

if ($group = \Model\Auth_Group::find($id))
    {
    $group->delete(true);
    Session::set_flash('success', 'Deleted group #'.$id);
    }

I expect this would both delete the group, and delete it's associated children - such as assigned permissions in the 'users_group_permissions' table

What I actually see is that the group is removed, and the associated permissions in the previously mentioned table just get updated to remove the 'group_id' - set to 0

Is this expected behaviour? 

I've tried:

foreach($group->grouppermission as $assigned_permission){
                   $assigned_permission->delete();
                }
       $group->delete(true);

Group and permissions are removed but ORM tries to run an insert and errors:

Fuel\Core\Database_Exception [ 1048 ]:
    Column 'group_id' cannot be null [ INSERT INTO `users_group_permissions` (`group_id`, `perms_id`, `actions`) VALUES (null, '10', 'a:1:{i:0;s:1:\"0\";}') ]

Thanks in advance
  • There is a many-many relation between group and permission, meaning the same permission can be assigned to multiple groups (or users for that matter). So deleting a group should not delete the permission.

If I look in the Auth_Group model, I see it also has a direct relation to that table, to be able to update the actions related to the group-permission combo, which are stored in "users_group_permissions". And that relation has "cascade_delete = false" defined on it. So that might block the delete.

I've looked in the history, it's been there since day 1, april 2013. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it is there. Also to the why we've never bumped into it, I don't know, everyone of our apps uses Auth. A quick peek in the code reveals it uses the same code as you do.

I think It should however delete the junction records in "users_group_permissions" when you delete a group, it is imho pointless to keep them when the group is gone.

Can you check if removing that "cascade_delete" in the Auth_Group doesn't have any side-effects, I'm not in a position to test at the moment...
  • Thanks Harro, confirms my thoughts.

I believed passing true to the $group->delete(true); should override the cascade_delete, although I may well be mistaken.

I'll alter the Auth_Group model now to see if it does have any effect.

Ok, so altering the "cascade_delete" to true is removing those users_group_permissions entries now, great.

Next question, how do I alter the cascade_delete on run time? As I'd certainly prefer that to altering the Auth source
  • If it has no side-effects, I'll push an update to the Auth package with this change. 

If it is wrong, it should be fixed at source, not worked around in your app...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion