Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
php 8.1
  • hi.
    is there any plan for support php8.1?
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, but no timing, haven't had time to look at it yet.
  • I can help with that as I would need it as well.

The thing is, stuff like the Orm implementing ArrayAcess would need to have mixed types on extended methods to match parent signature. Which would break fuel compatibility with PHP 7.x. Which would lead to have a PHP 8 specific version. But fuel is currently at 1.9 dev, so no minor version left before 2.0 to do that without breaking production apps.

Harro, do you have a plan on how to handle the situation ? If so, I can do the work to port it.  
  • We're not at 1.99 yet, so not too bothered about the version number ;).

I haven't had time to look at PHP 8.1 in detail, all our apps run on PHP 8.0 (and 1.9-dev).

All help is welcome, but breaking backward compatibility is a bad idea, so that needs to be looked at.

I'll try to get 1.9 released (for PHP 8.0), so we can look at 8.1 without impacting the current codebase.
  • I agree that breaking compatibility is bad, and PHP 8.1 having mixed type on standard library classes (which isn't supported before 8) is a poor decision. But it can't seem to be avoided.

At least, composer php requirement can be defined so install or upgrade of this version won't work if the PHP version is before 8.

Sound good for 1.9 release. I'm starting to work on the php 8.1 branch of core and packages.
  • I've started on the preparations.

I'm going to ditch all the different branches, and create a "develop" and a "release" branch, using tags to identify the release versions.
  • Ok, nice. We are porting the fuel core and packages repo to 8.1 on some app. Small changes here and there, but nothing too big. From what I see, the only changes that will break backward compat are in the ORM package.

Let me know when you are done with versions so we can reviews the needed changes.
  • Ok, will do. I will try to complete it over the weekend.
  • Ok. Also, I continue to work on Fuel website and doc when I have time, slowly but surely.

Please find a preview screenshot of the doc in converted in markdown and built with vuepress here.

I also plan to do a « quickstart » tutorial to show how to build a small app with fuel and a frontend modern framework like vue or svelte, that could be part of the doc.
  • Looks great, only... the logo...

• Please drop a comment here if/when a FuelPHP version is released that is compatible with php 8.1
    .  That would help us a lot.

Thank you guys very much btw - FuelPHP is awesome!
  • I will.

It's been delayed a bit, due a late bug report with a BC issue that needs looking into, and me being quite unwell atm...
  • Hey Harro, thanks for the good work.
    Most importantly - get well soon!!!!
  • Hi.
    When can we expect support for php8.1? ;)
  • When I have time to look into it, or someone else contributes.

What exactly is the problem you run into?
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    I've added some initial changes to support PHP 8.1

I've switched the app I'm currently working on to the latest 8.1, and as far as I've been able to test it, it runs fine (except some issues with installed 3rd-party package that are not compatible).

Please create an issue in the correct repo if you bump into issues that need fixing.
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    I notice btw that the most issues are in the app itself, mainly string function deprecations like no longer being allowed to pass NULL.
  • Uncaught exception Fuel\Core\PhpErrorException: 8192 - Fuel\Core\Model_Crud implements the Serializable interface, which is deprecated. Implement __serialize() and __unserialize() instead (or in addition, if support for old PHP versions is necessary)
  • Uncaught exception Fuel\Core\FuelException: 0 - Can not connect to the Redis engine. The error message says "Unknown response: ". in /var/www/platform/fuel/core/classes/cache/storage/redis.php on line 61
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    I'll have a look at Serialize.

I have no experience with Redis, so you'll have to look into why you get an "Unknown Response"

• HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    Pushed a fix for the Serializable deprecation warning.
  • Thanks for the update.
  • PR to fix Redis connection issue here
  • Thanks, merged.

Looks like an issue caused by a change in order of execution, in turn caused by a misplaced bracket.

• Hi, Any update on php8.1 support?
    I am following some commit logs to fuel/core.
    I'm thinking it's time for an official release of 1.9...
  • The current dev branch runs fine on PHP 8.1, but every now and then an issue is found.

Since there is no proper testing done, and I'm not very well, it takes time to make sure it is stable.

Having said that, all our apps (and those of our clients) run on dev, and have been for years...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion