Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Insert multiple in one query?
  • Hi, is there any way I can insert multiple entries at once with the ORM? Something along the lines of having them all in an array and calling an ORM method with the array as the argument? Thanks
  • No, not a planned feature either. If you want it you'll have to code it up yourself and pull-request.
  • I guess I will. I find it weird FuelPHP dev's seem so resistant to implementing features that will actually make it stand out amongst all the other frameworks.
  • I find it weird FuelPHP dev's seem so resistant to implementing features that will actually make it stand out amongst all the other frameworks.
    That's a very obnoxious comment. We are open to anything, but we have jobs/lives we find infinitely more important than you. Remember we are developing this in our free time, not getting payed a single dime for developing this.
    Having said that: I'm very open to any suggestion, and my comment shows that. I do however have some very cool other features planned already for which I have no clue when I'll find the time to actually write them. I'm not going to add something else that I don't really care about to that list. That doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea, I'll just leave it to others to write it and pull-request. And if you think that me not willing to write something upon your suggestion makes me resistant, you can pretty much piss off as far as I'm concerned. If you want something and we're not planning it you can still get it: write it yourself. That's what an open source project is about. We're perfectly willing to help anyone who wants to contribute by giving suggestions, and if it's any good and doesn't create more problems than it solves we'll accept the pull-request. Just remember we don't work for you, and you're not paying us anything.
  • I didn't mean to sound obnoxious, sorry if you perceive it as such. I just get the sense that these types of features are being avoided simply because people can implement them by themselves. Which is true of course but if users have to implement a lot of these features then you start to wonder why you're using a framework. I get that you guys are doing this "for free" and I personally appreciate that, I didn't mean any offence by what I said.
  • I just get the sense that these types of features are being avoided simply because people can implement them by themselves. Which is true of course but if users have to implement a lot of these features then you start to wonder why you're using a framework.
    There's a couple of sides to this coin, one I already mentioned: time. If you take a look at the issue tracker you'll see there's already 6 features planned and one pending for v1.1. As I said, I already have a full plate and pondering a feature like this takes time and research. If all you care about is mysql the solution is simple, yet we're writing a framework which should take other DBs into account as well. This is already something that's not yet good enough and if memory serves me right doing multiple inserts will add yet another issue to that. Thus we already have time & compatibility issues, which will push this back to the unforseeable future for me. Which is something I'm always very upfront about, because I won't give you false hope for something I won't even look at for another 3-6 months. Another issue you complain about is that we don't implement much. First of all that is very much not true, an Orm is one huge big implementation and a huge amount of work to design and write. But the greater picture is that Fuel is a framework that offers you tools, not implementations. In our view a framework offers you an uniform base to develop pretty much everything on, the more we implement the less versatile it all becomes. There are always choices and cutoff points where our design stops and the developer's implementation should begin. If you don't like that you're in search for a framework that does a lot more, something like Drupal perhaps. But that's not what Fuel is or will ever be.
    Having said that we do like to see devs in the community who create & share some of their work to help others with implementing. And we'll create a website ("Fuel Cells" ) for sharing those in the months to come. And while those aren't and shouldn't be part of the framework, we would like them to be a part of our "ecosystem".
  • At what point did I complain? Or say that you don't implement much? I think I've touched a nerve with you or something, cause from where I'm standing you seem to be over-reacting a bit to what I was saying. I was only talking about the impression I was getting from posting here on the forums, I did not mean to offend anyone by it, and I don't think that what I said was really considerable as offensive unless misinterpreted. I'd also like to point out that I have already contributed to Fuel and plan to do so again once I've finished with my current project and get a chance to polish up my code (check my github). Just to make clear that I am not taking and pointing out things that I think can use improvement without contributing, I'm not a leech.
  • @naatan. I see what you're saying personally, but I think it's not a matter of denying requests just to deny them... but a question of time and resources. Perhaps the answer is not to push everything into core, but to develop packages and modules to suit your needs and distribute them. The "Fuel Cells" features they speak of is just such a way to add functionality without needing to bundle a million extra fringe features into core. If I am correct, it will be released shortly. A friend and myself have already started developing a number of packages to augment some of the pieces some developers find "missing" in the framework... Given the core teams limited time and resources, perhaps in the future, start a discussion on the topic and see if enough people find the topic to be of importance. This way you can gauge the impact adding the feature will have... and keep in mind, Fuel is very extendable... perhaps if someone cares enough a package will spring up to suit your needs. And if the package makes enough sense, it's a simple step to port the package into core code.
  • Thanks "nerdsrescueme", those cells do make sense, looking forward to seeing more of them. To be clear I had no intention of starting any sort of debate, I was just making an observation that has obviously touched a nerve.
  • If you have any ideas for packages send then my way... I'm always looking for ideas :)
  • Haha will do :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion