Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
Git & HG setup for "automatic updates"
  • Hey there, I just stumbled across FuelPHP today, really impressed by the features! I want to use Bitbucket/Mercurial/HG for the versioning of my application. Is there a "How to" somewhere how I can use git & hg together to automatically pull the latest changes from the fuelphp-repo? My goal is that every developer can simply pull the application repo from bitbucket and start working. Now I'm not sure where to put the .git-files? Push them to Bitbucket as well, so that everybody can update the repo with git? I don't know if there are some conflicts with this solution. Thanks in advance for advices!
  • The easiest way is to set a nightly cron to run a git pull on your environment. But beyond a cron job, I don't believe there's a way to do so.
  • I doubt there would be a "how-to" on something so abstract and specific. The easiest way would be to set up a cron job to do a git pull on the github account then automatically push the changes to the bitbucket repo. It would be something along the lines of an automatic deployment I imagine, so perhaps a 'PHP deployment with git' search on Google will bring up a script to get you started... Seems like an awful lot of work to do, why not just stick with git?
  • Frank Bardon wrote on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011:
    I doubt there would be a "how-to" on something so abstract and specific. The easiest way would be to set up a cron job to do a git pull on the github account then automatically push the changes to the bitbucket repo. It would be something along the lines of an automatic deployment I imagine, so perhaps a 'PHP deployment with git' search on Google will bring up a script to get you started... Seems like an awful lot of work to do, why not just stick with git?

I found some instructions for local forks here: http://blog.itaapy.com/blog/git-vs-mercurial/
    But I want to have my (full) repository available anywhere where I want to develop (laptop / desktop computer / ...), so that I can update it from every repo and not just on the repos where I did local forks. (Additionaly, it's really kind of awful work ;) ) The main reason for not using git is that bitbucket allows me to have unlimited private repos and github e.g. is quite expensive if you want to have a lot of private repos. (I did not found some similiar free private repo hosting service. Assembla offers it, but I wasn't completely satistified with it.) Thanks for the tips!
  • I too use bitbucket because of the unlimited private repos... I am struggling with the choice of using git vs hg... We have everything in hg but are testing git because of FuelPHP and so far I don't like it that much... Git is great for open source projects but the plans for companies are better at bitbucket (witch now also supports unlimited private git repos)... So beat that github ;) Mercurial has a subrepos function but if it's as good as git's I don't know... I would love to be able to use bitbucket (hg) with fuelphp... But really don't think that will ever be possible :)
  • Drop Bitbucket and use Github :)
    Simples tch :)
    Seriously I think people have tried but to date I don't know of anyone who has succeeded because of the way Fuel is broken down into sub-modules. They currently do it manually :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion