Love Fuel?    Donate

FuelPHP Forums

Ask your question about FuelPHP in the appropriate forum, or help others by answering their questions.
How can I renew data in the existing ORM\Model object?
  • Let me have some loaded ORM\Model object, for example, $model = Model_Something:find($id);
    While I was doing some work, data in database changed (I am sure).
    How can I renew data in the existing object $model without reassigning var with command above?

Do we have something like $model->reload() or $model->renew()?
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    No, if the data changes outside of the ORM, the only way to refresh the data is to rerun the query.

Why is rerunning the query a problem? Are you mis-using the ORM model for other things, as it should only contain the DB data, so a reload can't be a problem?

p.s. the ORM doesn't return variables, it returns object references to the ORM cache, if you rerun a query, even when using a different variable to store the result, the cache is updated and every variable that references the cache is updated to.

If you do

$a = Model_Something::find(1);
    $b = Model_Something::find(1);
    var_dump($a, $b);

you will see that $a and $b reference the same object.

The ORM does this to make sure data remains consistent within the application. 

Likewise, if you would do

$a->field = "new value";
    var_dump($b->field);

you would see the change.
  • Thank you, Harro. Can you tell me how can I get new object (not from cache), when I run the same query?
  • HarroHarro
    Accepted Answer
    The cleanest way, without having to fiddle with the ORM, is to use a normal DB query:

$a = DB::select()->from('table')->where('id, '=', $id)->as_object('Model_Something')->execute();

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion